Sunday 12 April 2015

Hows does your media product represent particular social groups? (draft)

The artist portrayed in the double page spread of my magazine is a fairly care free, reckless individual, with music that doesn't just fit into a specific genre but rather spans several, and is also the kind of artist that would be unknown to the majority of the public. I think my magazine targets, primarily, "young alts" and "hipsters" as they are described to be at the leading edge of youth culture, and thrive on seeking out interests that are not considered to be in the mainstream. They are also described as non-judgmental and "having their eyes and ears open to different genres and scenes", the fact my artist isn't pinned into a certain genre is consistent with the representation of the youth cultures that my magazine would be targeting, and therefore reinforces the representation.

The fact that my magazine is intended as a print publication, similar to "loud and quiet", helps reinforce the whole kind of non-mainstream/alternative feel of the groups it is aimed at, as it is a non-conventional way to publish a magazine. The cover of my magazine looks similar to a magazine like vice or i-D, with minimalist logo and focus on the model, the aforementioned publications epitomise the sub-cultures of young alts or hipsters and so in turn does my own magazine. The content of the interview on the DPS is neither entirely serious or humorous, which is an accurate representation of the way that young alts and hipsters want to be perceived. Instead the sub-cultures strike a middle-ground by dressing in expensive clothes and listening to underground music, but at the same time still being youthful and partying etc.

Overall I would say that the representation is positive of the social groups in my magazine, as a media product would not be best serving it's interests if it negatively represented the social group it was aiming itself at.

No comments:

Post a Comment